Rain, snow, or shine, our windows are there to protect us from the weather and give our house a little character. Since they’re doing so much for us, it makes sense that we should show them a little love. Here are our best tips for window maintenance in Utah and how to know whether it’s time for window replacement.
Elements in Utah That Cause Wear and Tear
Due to Utah’s climate, our windows are often exposed to harsh elements. From extreme heat in the summer months to snow and hail in the winter, your windows have a lot of wear and tear to deal with throughout the year.
We may be in a desert but that doesn’t mean moisture isn’t an issue in the winter. And the hot, dry air can cause your windows to become brittle and cracked over time if they aren’t properly cared for.
How to Take Care of Your Windows
Window maintenance is especially good to do during your spring cleaning or as the temperature starts to rise. Here are 6 tips to ensure your windows are in top condition:
- Caulk and weatherstrip your windows to prevent drafts in the winter months. Little holes can let cold air seep in and raise your energy bill. 20% of your heating and cooling could be escaping due to air leaks and bad insulation.
- Clean your tracks and frames regularly with a soft cloth or brush. Dirt and bugs can get stuck in the tracks, preventing your windows from opening and closing properly.
- Check for any cracks or warping that may have occurred due to weathering. If you find any damage, it’s best to repair it right away before further wear and tear occur.
- Replace any missing or broken window panes before the winter season begins. This will help keep your windows insulated and stop drafts from entering your home.
- Schedule regular maintenance with a professional window installer. They can inspect your windows for any signs of damage and provide you with advice on how to best care for them.
- Repaint wooden frames every few years (or when you notice chipping) to keep them looking fresh and prevent rot.
Do Your Windows Need to Be Replaced?
If your windows have reached the end of their lifespan, no amount of window maintenance can revive them to their former glory. If you’re noticing any of the following signs, it may be time to consider replacing your windows:
- Your windows are cracked, warped, or broken beyond repair
- You can feel cold drafts coming through even when they are closed
- The frames and tracks look worn down and rusted
- Your energy bills have been steadily increasing
- Your windows don’t open or close properly
We know window replacement can have a bad rap as a very big and expensive project, but it doesn’t have to break the bank! Before putting duct tape over a window crack, take a look at grants in your area or find a company that offers transparent, easy financing.
Drop Your Energy Bill With Help From Utah Window Experts
Windows don’t just give you that perfect view of the Wasatch Mountains—they protect you from the elements and help keep your energy bills in check. With regular window maintenance, you can keep them looking and functioning great for years to come.
For window replacement and simple financing, schedule a free in-home estimate with Utah Window Experts. We’ve been family-owned and operated since 2001, and we’d love to help your home look and feel its best.